Get Advocacy Support

Advocacy services help people, particularly those who are most vulnerable in society, to:

  • access information and services
  • be involved in decisions about their lives
  • explore choices and options
  • defend and promote their rights and responsibilities
  • speak out about issues that matter to them
  • access support to make an NHS complaint about a service they have accessed.

(NHS online)

Birmingham Advocacy Hub

The Hub is delivered by a partnership which includes POhWER, Advocacy Matters, East Birmingham Collective, deafPLUS and Birmingham Mind. The Birmingham Advocacy Hub delivers the following services:

CASBA Advocacy

  • Choices and Changes: Supporting people aged 18 years old and over, have a learning disability, want to engage with Advocacy support relating to welfare services and benefit changes.
  • Safer Lives, Safer Future: This project seeks to ensure the most vulnerable in our community are supported through specialist  advocacy to improve the quality and safety of their lives.
  • Parents Together: Offers specialist Advocacy support for parents with learning disabilities who are going through periods of crisis, which directly affect their children or family life.

People in Partnership

People in Partnership (PIP) services include

  • Direct advocacy support to parents/expectant parents with a learning disability/difficulty/autism to support them throughout child protection/care proceedings.
  • Direct advocacy support to parents/expectant parents with mental health problems to assist them throughout child protection/care proceedings.
  • Follow-on advocacy support to learning disabled parents post-proceedings.

National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS)

The National Youth Advocacy Service (NYAS) is a rights based charity which operates across England and Wales for children, young people and adults. NYAS offers a variety of services including a national advocacy helpline, advocacy for children in care and those in need – including children subject to child protection plans, care leavers, children and young people with disabilities.


If you need help understanding the right organisation to support you please contact Healthwatch Birmingham by email or calling 0800 652 5278.


Birmingham Citizen’s Advice Bureau

Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB) provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. They aim to provide the advice people need for the problems they face and improve the policies and practices that affect people’s lives.

Turn 2 Us
Turn2us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services. They have on their website the questions that a Turn 2 Us advisor will ask them when they call, so CAB suggests that if we signpost people that we let them know this on our website. The number is 0808 802 2000.

For Appeal to benefits decisions: For people that want to appeal about their benefits they need to call Citizen’s Advice Bureau on 03444 77 1010. Please note: on the automated telephone menu there will not be an option for benefits – hold on the line and the options will be given a few times, then you will then go in to a queue and will eventually get put through to someone that can help.

General Dental Council

The General Dental Council are one of a number of organisations which may be able to help if you are unsatisfied with the treatment, behaviour or service you have received from a registered dental professional.

General Optical Council

GOC is the regulator of Opticians in UK and as such has regulatory powers to issue warnings, suspension or remove Opticians from the register.

Nursing and Midwifery Council

The Nursing and Midwifery Council regulate nurses and midwives in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and set standards of education, training, conduct and performance so that nurses and midwives can deliver high quality healthcare throughout their careers.

The General Pharmaceutical Council

The General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) is the independent regulator for pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and pharmacy premises in Great Britain.

Contact us

  • You can call the office on 0800 652 5278 or 0121 636 0990 complete the form below and we’ll be in touch. By providing your contact details you consent to Healthwatch Birmingham getting in touch with you. We take the protection of your data very seriously. If you agree to give us your name and contact details, we will keep your information secure and manage this in accordance with the law and with our Privacy Policy. You can find a copy of this at
  • Accepted file types: jpg, png, jpeg, gif.
    JPG, JPEG, PNG and GIF images only
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.