This report details progress in improving access to GP services in Birmingham since we highlighted inequalities in primary care across the city.
Our initial investigation in 2022 found that patients in some areas faced severe challenges such as:
- Difficulties getting an appointment
- Lack of face-to-face appointments
- Problems finding up-to-date information about accessing services
In response, NHS Birmingham and Solihull (NHS BSOL) has now introduced a number of changes to address these issues, including:
- 5% more appointments per week between 6.30pm and 8pm Monday to Friday
- IT support for GP practices to improve booking procedures and access to patient records
- Recruiting 480 more patient facing roles
While Healthwatch Birmingham acknowledges these moves, the feedback we receive shows that access to GP services still needs improving for some people. We will continue to listen to people’s experiences in order to monitor the impact of NHS BSOL’s work in this area and help GP services to provide timely access to appointments and treatment.